Friday, September 24, 2010

Here is something that moved me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppSCEaT6SIA

Laura Marling. Goodbye England (Covered in Snow).

Modesty, mystery, reserve. She just stands up there like a child, singing and looking up. She plucks the guitar so gently, it's like a prayer. Absolutely beautiful.

and I tried to be a girl who likes to be used
I'm too good for that
there's a mind under this hat
and I called them all and told them
I've got to move

She's an artist, not a product. She seems to know it, though humbly. She's a person, a soul, an angel. Well, actually, no. Better. She's a human being.

A refreshing contrast to some of her higher profile contemporaries.

I speak because I can
to anyone I trust enough to listen.
You speak because you can
To anyone who'll hear what you say

Yes, you speak, and share your voice with us. What a gift that you have trusted me to listen. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Ms. Marling.

I can't give up that quick
my life is a candle and a wick
you can put it out, but you can't break it down
in the end we are waiting to be lit

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment