Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Introducing... Daydream

Here is something I sent the followers on my email list awhile back when I released Daydream.  I thought I'd share it on my site (slightly edited).  Thanks for stopping by!



Dear friends,

Greetings from outer space, where I am still drifting, still hopeful, still a little clueless and naive, yet getting closer all the time...and meanwhile, enjoying (mostly) the ride.

I am pleased to announce the release of “Daydream,” a little five-song record that was mostly the fruit of this past Lent.  (I decided that doing something creative like a record beat giving up candy, etc).

I did all the recording and mixing myself on my very old school, decade-old Yamaha desktop DAW, in the ridiculous cavern of a great room at St John’s rectory.  It was a labor of love.  Some awesome and talented friends collaborated with me, notably, Bill Fox (drums), Amanda Ang (vocals and lyrics for ‘In The Basement’), Shea Acott (cello) and Anthony Co (lyrics for ‘Frightful Beauty’).

On my website, I have likened my music to “bread” – kneaded and baked from poor and simple ingredients of life, perhaps less gratifying as a candy bar or chips, but nourishing in its own unique way.  Well, this latest record is more like drinks from a bar.  I believe the tag line I used on Bandcamp was “musical cocktails, mixed and served by a priest, from the bar of life.”  It’s different from past releases in that it’s more alt-rock than alt-folk.  It’s so multi-tracked that my friend Adam likened it to a quiche (bet you haven’t seen that word in your email!)

As with past projects, the music is dense and intentional.  It arose from insights gained in the various fights in the “basement of the heart” (see attached poem by Amanda if you wonder what that means).  Things learned there are some of the most valuable things in life.  Like anything precious, it begs to be shared.  But so often it's incommunicable, or seems that way.  Song is the only language medium I personally have that can even come close to conveying it.  I always cherish the hope that others may find value and meaning in the songs, connect, and, perhaps, even find a little hope and consolation of their own amid the ups and downs of their own life’s journey.

I should have released the album months ago.  Perfectionism and inferiority complex - aaaaagggggghhhhhhh leave me alone.

After long experience, I have realized that with the art of song, HOW something is said is as important, if not more, than WHAT is said.  A good song is a magical mixture of a sonic “what” and “how” that somehow have the power to move someone’s heart.  I feel like my “what” often exceeds my “how,” if that makes any sense.  While I have made some strides as a singer, I regret to admit that I’ll probably never (sigh) be Chris Cornell or Justin Vernon.  But I sure do try.  I ask your indulgence, and thank you for understanding that “all that is gold does not glitter,” as Tolkien wrote.  There is some gold buried in these little songs – a conviction which has led me, finally, to get over myself and just put it out there, blemishes and all.

OK, I’ll just shut up now and let you check out the music, if you wish. 

Thanks and much love.  Many of you create art and try to make beautiful things to share with the world, which is cool and awesome. I bless you and wish you much victory and success. My friend Vince, a super talented artist, says that any time he makes a painting, it's his way of saying to the world, "I'm still here, you bastards."  While that may seem slightly harsh and offensive to some, to me it's amusing and consoling, and rings very true.  Thanks for your friendship, support, and the value and beauty each of you add to the world. And thanks for reading/listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment