Thursday, July 22, 2010

I recently got my free song review of “Seven More Stories” back from TAXI. They’re an independent professional A & R networking company. The freebie review came through my CD manufacturer. I figured that song was the closest thing I have to a short catchy pop song. Also the least likely to scare off the reviewer.

Not sure how such a subjective medium as music merits numerical ratings (sorry, Pitchfork). Oh well, in any case the ratings were:

9/10 for arrangement; 8/10 for lyrics; 7/10 for music, production and engineering; and (this one made me smile) 6/10 for marketability.

I received much positive feedback such as: “Good structural balance. Great work keeping the arrangement tight and focused.” And “a creative piece... the music feels good, with natural transitions between the sections. Cool idea to bring in the female vocal for the final chorus... Overall, a unique and well-constructed song. Great job creating a mood with the music that effectively fits the subject matter and imagery of the lyrics.”

Critique: there may be too many words in the chorus, making it difficult for the listener to sing along with.

The album was also listed as an “Editor’s Pick” on June 13 on Indie-music.com. Not sure what that means, but I’ll take it. For whatever it’s worth.

1 comment:

  1. I bet if you change all those names to movie star names you'd get a higher marketability score. Maybe you should think about rewriting it? :)

    ReplyDelete