Saturday, July 24, 2010

Last night we played at Jimmy’s. Broke guitar (bad start). We finished our 28 song set a half hour early (oops). I then whipped out some Bon Jovi and Guns n Roses, betraying my strong bias towards 80's rock anthems. Had lots of fun. Played barefoot. Got free Guinness on the house :)

I got to see lots of my former students. They arrived more or less after the show had ended. Oh well, it’s the thought that counts. It was great to see them.

After the show I went to a hobbit birthday party hosted by “Samwise,” Lord of the Rings class veteran. It was not his birthday. There was LOTR paraphernalia all around. There was even a hobbit hole, in the form of a fully pitched tent in the living room. Guests wore costumes. I came straight from Jimmy’s so couldn’t bring my Gandalf sword and wizard hat.

As you know, hobbits give other people presents on their own birthday. He fulfilled the role admirably. There were stuffed toy cats and chickens, old fashioned mugs, a doctor’s outfit, and a flip video camera. All wrapped with love in old newspapers. There was a horn of Gondor for me, but the guy who was supposed to bring it didn’t come :(

Teaching at Notre Dame has led to so many great friendships. I am so blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment